Thursday, July 17, 2014

30 miles in 3 days

When we say our training is flexible, we mean it.  We both travel quiet a bit, and when we do, all training revolves around a trip so that we can go on our trip feeling accomplished and guilt free.  This leads us to doing some pretty grueling runs...  

Last Sunday, we had our first two-a-day run, 6 + 6.  It was 105 that day, we ran in the morning outside and then the afternoon on the treadmill for 5.5 and then outside for the last half mile (b/c the Y closed and we were told to leave ha).  Then Monday evening, as late as Em could get me to wait, after dinner and after J and I lifted, we ran another 6, got done around 9:45pm then at 5:15am we were out for 12 more.  The only good thing I have to say about that run was it was cool thanks to some mini polar vortex that came through, otherwise, I don't know if we could have made it.  Running 12 that close to a 6, that was that close to another 12, REALLY mimicked running a full.  Our legs were just as tired and our toes just as sore as they would be in miles 20-26 of a race.  I remember running up the hill on Harrison thinking I wasn't sure if I had four more in me.  There was a point where we looked at each other and asked "why do we DO this?  Why don't we just wear work out and meet for coffee?"  But we did have a good solid four or so miles in the middle that we ran at or below race pace, 8:45ish,  but the rest were fairly slow, 9-9:30, and we didn't bring water (sigh).  Did i mention we are aiming for 3:59:00?  That's so fast for these legs... BUT we are getting closer and we still have plenty of time.  During this run we got to see a really pretty sunset in addition to enjoying the cool morning.  We had to rely heavily on our music to get us through rather than our normal chats, which I can't do under 9mm very well, but I'm getting there.  

Yesterday was a much needed rest day, and today will be three on the treadmill (due to the rain) and lower body weights, followed by another 3, a 4, and a 6 the rest of the week.  All in all, the 6 day a week plan is working pretty well.  I'm skipping some weight lifting every now and then, which I wish I wasn't doing, but things are just busy.  

On another note, I've been having issues with my hip since APRIL.  And despite the 30 miles that had me worried, it actually feels BETTER than it has in a long time. Josh has been using our deep tissue torture device, I mean, massager and it really has helped.  I think one of my glute muscles is in a GIANT knot and it's HARD to stretch and REALLY deep in there, but the pain of J's treatments have been worth it!  I need to get a full deep tissue massage desperately, but you know, gotta find time and childcare.  

No comments:

Post a Comment