Thursday, May 20, 2010

Modern %#*&@# Technology

So we have fell victim to modern technology with our new baby. When buying a monitor this time, we actually researched and ended up getting one that detects movements. Now, when I first read this, I read it as "alerts you when baby moves". And I was like, "Come on! I don't need to be alerted every time she MOVES!" But then Josh corrected me and told me that it monitors babies movement and alerts me when she doesn't move for 20 seconds. Sounds good right? I debated between this and video monitor and decided that I'd rather be alerted if she stops breathing than look at her while she sleeps.

We moved Lyla out of our room last week and got the monitor all set up. Of course, we had to have some test runs. We figured we would test it out by taking the baby out of her bed and if it goes off then were happy. So we did, and sure enough, all kinds of alarms started going off every where. NOTE: if you are going to fall victim to modern technology, make sure you are smart enough to work it. Josh and I scrambled back and forth between monitors, the receiver, pushing buttons like crazy, just to turn the thing off. We finally get it off and rather than being content, I decide we should test it again... NOW, mind you, I barely even USED a monitor with Carson... Anyway, again we layed her down and again we picked her up and again alerts went off every where that we could not control. "Ok. I think it works" I said.

That night I went to bed assured that if my baby stopped breathing I would be alerted... ALL OVER THE HOUSE! So I slept. And around 2am, Lyla woke up. I went to get her, got her out of her bed, began to change her diaper, when all those &*#@* alarms started going off again!!! My thoughts as I scrambled around trying to shut the thing off were something like this: "She's not MOVING b/c she's with ME! Can't this *&$#@!$ monitor figure that out??? Isn't there a $#@&*# WEIGHT sensor too!"

After I succeeded in waking up the house I fed her and put her down and went back to sleep. Only to be awaken by that #*@&# monitor. I picked it up and hit it against my bed before I realized "Oh &(#@^$ that means she's not breathing" (by the way, this monitor makes me cuss in my mind a lot). SO, I finally clued in to what was going on and rushed to her room. It was dark, so I couldn't really tell if she was breathing, so of course to be safe I shake her awake. Yep. If she wasn't breathing, she after that! I just hope we have no shaken baby issues to deal with.

Unsettled and AWAKE I went back to bed wondering if she was breathing or not, but decided it didn't matter b/c that thing was going to wake me up!

We slept peacefully for several nights after, then last night I was woken up by the *&^$# alarm again. But this time I was prepared, I jumped out of bed SO FAST, throwing the monitor at Josh to turn off, ran to her room, but this time DID have enough sense to just look and touch first, and she was sleeping like a baby. With my heart beating out of my chest, I then realized that I may had just ripped my stitches out of my incision b/c my tummy when I shot up and ran, which had already been sore from not following Dr's orders. I curled over and fell back on the bed about the time Josh came it. "She's breathing" I told him. "That %^#&@* monitor just made me rip my #*#$& stitches" I THOUGHT (yes, just THOUGHT). "I'll turn the sensitivity up on the thing" Josh said. "WHAT?? The *#%@*# sensitivity was DOWN???" I THOUGHT. "Good idea," I SAID and returned to bed.

NOTE: If it hadn't been for that #%$*@# monitor, I would have only been up once between 9:30pm and 7am...

1 comment:

  1. Oh NO! Is it horrible that I'm laughing just picturing you scrambling around in the dark cussin' in your head? motherhood ain't all that pretty is it!? :)
    can't wait to see you next week-end!

    ReplyDelete