Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Self Diagnosing

I am now on my second pregnancy that I have complained and complained about extreme pelvic pain that can leave me barely able to walk. The first time I was pregnant, when I said anything to anybody, they replied "well, that's being pregnant". So I never told my doctor till I could NOT walk at all one day and we went in. They tested and found I had a UTI. I was put on meds that numbed my insides as well as pain medicine- which helped to get me through the last week. In fact, my last week or so was the best since I was 21 weeks pregnant. So I though, "Oh GOOD! This isn't what being pregnant is like after all!"

Thinking that I had a undiagnosed UTI the last half of my pregnancy which caused the pain, I decided to have another child. I have a new doctor due to our move, so I told her upfront about my past issue so that they would test for UTI's often.
SO, after 20 weeks of puking I started to feel better. For three whole weeks I got to enjoy my pregnancy. Then the pain began again. UGH! I have been complaining to my doctors and nurses this time and while they have been taking my pain seriously, I have not heard a NAME for what I am experiencing. We have eliminated UTI's, and we are now trying many 'tricks' to relieve the pain which include, REST, support belt, sitting on all fours and leaning forward (which results in kicks in my butt by Carson), hot baths, Tylenol, and avoidance of activities that make the pain worse.

Today I decided to research on my own, and I think I've found a possible name for what I'm experiencing. (You KNOW doctors LOVE when patients come in and say "is THIS what's wrong?") Here's what I found:

"SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) simply means that the joint is apparently not working, as it should be. Together with the two sacroiliac joints at the back of the pelvis, the symphysis pubis plays an important part in holding the pelvis absolutely steady during any activity, in any position, which involves the legs. If the joint is not firmly ‘tied’ by all its ligaments it cannot effectively perform its role and excessive strain is placed on all the pelvic joints giving rise to the all too familiar painful symptoms. It is important to remember that the sacroiliac joints are equally affected by the hormones of pregnancy and become slightly looser. It is very common to find that although a woman might be complaining of groin and pubic pain, the main cause of the symptoms is actually at one or both of the sacroiliac joints and this puts extra stress on the symphysis." (http://www.e-radiography.net/radpath/d/diastasis_symphysis.htm)

The symptoms for this sound like someone listed my daily pains and causes out. Treatments include all we are currently trying plus anti-inflammatory drugs and pain meds... The list of things to do to manage pain without medications include, avoid lifting (ok I have a two year old), take daily bed rest (I DO rest when Carson does), avoid stairs (Ok, my two year old's room is upstairs), avoid pushing things like grocery carts (OK, we have to EAT), avoid standing and walking as much as possible...OK...

So, bottom line is- Lyla's lucky I thought the UTI was the cause the first time, or I really don't think I would have been able to talk myself into a second baby. I just wasn't made to have babies. But for some reason finding all the info I found made me feel better. At least there are possible causes out there. I've been afraid I'm a wimp. And I really don't think I am. It hurts as bad as labor at a 9. And labor is pretty painful, just ask any mom.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry dear.

    Have you tried prenatal yoga? Pubic joint pain is very common in many women but only some women have it severe. I had it pretty bad too.

    Definitely keep your knees together at all times (like rolling over in bed, getting in and out of the car etc.) and try squeezing something between your legs about 30 times 3 times a day (like a thigh master). You can use a thick pillow, phone book, yoga block...anything about 4-5 inches thick.
    This helps strengthen the pubic joint muscles where the pubic joint is separating and helps to keep the pelvis more balanced.

    It sucks...but it will be immediate relief once the baby girl comes out!

    ReplyDelete