Thursday, March 4, 2010

Man Was THAT Needed!

This past weekend was SO needed in my life. My dear old friend, Jennifer Gates, had her 30th birthday in Austin, Tx. And man, have we come a long way since we celebrated birthdays at Mr. Bills! Now birthday weekends include multiple nights out, spa trips, fancy dinners, but like normal, TONS of fun! While conversations have changed from hall parties, hot guys and beer pong to breast feeding, pregnancy and jobs, it was still SO fun! Not to mention, so great to get together with old friends. Although my stupid pregnancy didn't allow me to enjoy late nights out on the town, I had a blast. Thanks to Jen P and Mandi for putting all that together!

It all made me kinda sad though. You see, I have never been very good at keeping up with friends when life takes us in separate directions. And graduating college DID THAT! My friends scattered across the country and I was super sad because for some reason I figured our friendship was coming to an end as well. And I'm not sure why I thought it had to be like that. Sure, hanging out with your friends in California or Kansas or Oklahoma is HARDER than your friends down the street, but hanging on to those friends who live hours away is worth the extra effort! My friends that live away from me, which included EVERYONE since I too left Oklahoma, are so important to me. And it's so cool when you have friends that are so special that you can pick right back up where you left off. You both may be in different places in life than before, but the friendship is right where you left it.

I wish we all slowed down in life a little and had weekends like last more often. Friendships are so special. They can make you feel whole again, like yourself, before you were mom, or wife, or X job position. They can make you feel young, fun and worry free. And everyone needs to remember that part about themselves occasionally!

1 comment: