Monday, April 19, 2010

Lyla's Birthday

I can't believe Lyla Kade is here. Each day of the last 9 months have gone by so slow and now we are going on the 4th day with our newest family member. So, how'd she get here? Let me tell you...

Everything worked out like I had planned. Thursday night Josh, Carson, my dad and I packed up and headed to the Hilton in the Medical District to spend the night, Carson had a slumber party with my dad and Josh and I attempted to go to sleep early... OF COURSE THAT DIDN'T WORK! I would have thought that I would have been more relaxed second time around. Seeing how I knew what to expect. But I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss because KNOWING what to expect the next day only resulted in me walking myself through everything that would happen over and over again in my mind. I also found myself VERY sad about my "lasts" with just Carson. So between my nerves and my sadness, sleep Thursday night didn't really exist. For either of us. So at 5am, Josh and I headed out on foot to St. Lukes to begin the day, dead tired.

Prep for surgery went quickly and the next thing I knew I was walking myself into the OR, hoping up on the table to get my epidural, and trying not to puke on myself while I laid on my back waiting on Josh to join me.

As I was laying on the table, taking deep breaths, and waiting for J, I found myself straight up scared. A feeling I don't feel very often. I KNEW I wouldn't feel anything, it wasn't a fear of pain, I just didn't like the idea of being cut open while being awake. My first c-section I was SO tired after 14 hours of labor that I didn't really care what they did to me. I couldn't even lift up my own hand. This time, I was TOTALLY aware of everything around me and it scared me. Josh finally came into the room and they got started. Josh tried to talk to me, but I found myself feeling better just having him hold my hand and closing my eyes trying to relax, while ignoring the things I'd hear like, "move the bladder there" and "NO! Not like that!". Quickly enough the baby was taken out, or shaken out I guess I should say. The doctor showed me the baby all covered in goo and quickly took her away to wrap her up. I then started hearing other things I didn't like.

I was told I would be getting the baby almost immediately. And when she wasn't handed over I started to worry. Of course, what was I gonna do? My bladder was over "there" remember? As I laid there I could hear Lyla crying and it sounded strange. Josh went to take pictures. While he was gone, someone came up to me to tell me that they, Josh, Lyla and the nurses, went to get the excess fluid out of her lungs. The nurse didn't seem worried, so I relaxed. And soon enough Lyla was in my arms.



After what seemed like forever, (or an hour, whatever) Josh, Lyla and I were rolled into the recovery room. It was great. Last time, I was left behind as Josh got to introduce Lyla to everyone. But this time, we all got to go through it together. My dad and Carson were able to come on into the recover rooom, so I got to introduce C to his sister quickly. And instantly all my fears about having a second were calmed. Carson just LOVED her. He wanted to kiss her and hug her right away.



Right when Carson was ready to go for a walk, Kathy, Josh's mom arrived and we got to introduce Lyla to her. Again, exactly like planned.

Lyla's exam was continued with us present and we were told she was 7 pounds 2 ounces and 19 1/4 inches long. She was born at 8:01am. And everything was looking great!

Around 11am we were taken into our room and we continued the day getting checked by a million different people, napping, eating and just enjoying the fact that the day went so smooth, that we were all healthy and that I remembered it all! YEA!

After months of doubt and second guessing everything from having a second to having a c-section again, to having a GIRL, I can't imagine things going better. It has been the most beautiful , calm and peaceful experience ever. So, welcome Lyla Kade. You have already made our world brighter and more complete.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto the second c-section - it was somehow more scary knowing what was coming even though I knew it wasn't bad in any way....

    I'm so glad y'all are home already, and your family is lovely!

    ~Katy H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy everything turned out like you wanted! You have two beautiful kiddos! Let the chaos begin! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete