Monday, September 20, 2010

Get it together...

I had this discussion recently with some of my sorority sisters, who I am proud to say, I have gotten to see TWICE this year. The discussion was about realizations I had while sitting at Owen Field looking around at OU's campus. As I sat up on the new upper deck (which I am a FAN of b/c they have seat backs and cup holders) I looked out only to find buildings where I used to park, I looked around and saw people I used to play with whose names I forgot, I looked at the bars that have been renamed, the clothing stores that have gone out of business, and all this made me realize, I started at OU TWELVE years ago! WOW! For real?

One of the things I remembered always checking out 12 years ago were the OU fans. The ones that were 30-something with young kids. They all had their best OU gear on, their tailgates set up, their new cars, their cute decked out kids, lots of friends around. They no longer tailgated with Natural Lite or without a TV, they didn't have to worry about drinking under aged or work after the game. They seemed to really have it all together.

So there I sat. Twelve years later. Thirty-something, with two cute kids, wearing new OU gear, with my husband, we drove our new car, we were with a couple of the people I hung out with 12 years ago. In THEIR season tickets. With the buildings over my parking spots. And all I could think is, "My shit is still not together."

I wonder when I too will be those tailgaters who have it all together. When will we stop moving, stay at jobs, stop doubting ourselves and the direction we are going? When will I FEEL like I have it all together too?

After a lot of thought, I have decided that moment will be when I have my own tailgate. When we have the TIME to pack ALL the crap up during the week to tailgate WITH at the stadium. I mean, REALLY, they have to start on Sunday to have all that ready for Saturday. TV's, grills, the food, the tents, the entertainment for the kids, the beer, coolers, chairs, fans, power sources, the tables, satellites, the new OU gear...man. When I am together enough to get all that together, I will think, "MAN. I really have it ALL together now."

No comments:

Post a Comment